Pure Guided Reading
Most of us, when first starting out, were thrown into the classroom with very little practical experience. (The sink or swim method as we call it!) If you landed in a school that uses a ‘workshop model,’ you may have found yourself searching frantically to find out anything you could about guided reading, so you could hit the ground running.
Over the years you may have cobbled together different bits of information, research and knowledge about running guided reading in the classroom but you may never have had explicit training in the what, why and how of Guided Reading in its pure form.
Are any of these true for you?:
- You’re wanting reassurance to know you’re ‘doing’ guided reading right.
- You’re looking for a clear way to structure and plan your guided reading lessons.
- You’re interested in knowing more about grouping your students based on need as well as the level.
- You’re wondering where independent reading and conferring fits into all this?
If so, then this Guided Reading PD is right for you!
In this online PD we will:
- Look at the research behind guided reading and how it fits into a gradual release of responsibility model.
- Highlight assessments you can use to help inform grouping for guided reading.
- Outline a structure for guided reading lessons and provide you with a plan you can take away and use immediately.
- Discuss alternate small group instructional strategies (such as strategy groups), that can also help you meet the needs of your students.
We realise teachers need and want flexibility with access to PD so we have two options for how you can attend this PD:
- Option 1: A full day online PD on Monday August 10th. 9am-3:30pm
- Option 2: 5 X 1 hour PDs on Wednesday nights at 7pm between August 19- September 23. (19/8, 26/8, 2/9, 9/9, 16/9)
- Note: the content (and price) will be exactly the same in both options.
- Where: Online using Zoom
- Cost: $225+GST per person (with 5% being donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation)
- (If you’d like an invoice so your school can pay, just send an invoice request to firstname.lastname@example.org)
You’ll get: a full day online PD, a supporting resources pack and a copy of the recording.
Effective Think-Alouds (Available for download now!)
This workshop is aimed at anyone who wants to strengthen the minilesson part of their reading comprehension instruction.
Done well, think-alouds are a highly effective teaching practice for reading instruction. The problem is, the research says they aren’t used enough in schools.
This workshop was originally held as a live webinar and the recording is now available to download and watch in your own time.
The workshop covers:
- The what, why and how of effective think-alouds.
- How to plan for effective think-alouds.
- How best to scan books to use in the classroom.
- How to make your own think-aloud recordings.
This one hour recording comes with a supporting resources pack, a copy of the PowerPoint slides and a certificate of participation.
Here’s some feedback from this workshop:
“I loved this PD as it wasn’t too long and overwhelming. It was perfect, straight to the point and easy to understand. I know exactly what I need to refine and how to be more explicit when coaching my teams with the delivery of lessons online and within the classroom. The resources you receive are very helpful.” -Michelle T
“You are a very skilled deliverer of online PD. I love that I can do it from home. Evenings are usually a time that suits, and recordings are nearly as good as the real time session.” -Michelle N