Most of us are readers but we aren’t writers, this means we often feel less confident when teaching writing than we do when teaching reading.
Is this true for you?:
- Your writing lessons fall off your timetable because you aren’t quite sure how best to teach it.
- You’re interested in learning about ways to teach writing that go beyond formulaic writing structures.
- You want to add more authenticity, creativity and passion to your writing lessons but you’re not sure how.
If so, this full day writing PD day is just for you!
In this online PD we will look at:
- What research says about effective writing instruction.
- The difference between assigning writing and actually teaching it.
- Practical ways to increase student engagement and skill in writing.
- Choosing and delivering effective minilessons in writing for students in years 2-6
As with all Oz Lit PDs, you will leave the day with lots of practical strategies to trial in your classroom the very next day. (Well, considering this PD is on the school holidays, you’ll be ready to implement them at the start of Term 3).
- When: Thursday July 9, 2020 (School holidays for Vic, Tas and NSW).
- Where: Online using Zoom
- Time: 9:00am-3:00pm (Melbourne Time)
- Cost: Special intro price of $150+GST per person (with 5% being donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation)
- (If you’d like an invoice so your school can pay, just send an invoice request to email@example.com)
You’ll get: a full day online PD, a copy of the PowerPoint slides and a supporting resources pack.
Effective Think-Alouds (Available for download now!)
This workshop is aimed at anyone who wants to strengthen the minilesson part of their reading comprehension instruction.
Done well, think-alouds are a highly effective teaching practice for reading instruction. The problem is, the research says they aren’t used enough in schools.
This workshop was originally held as a live webinar and the recording is now available to download and watch in your own time.
The workshop covers:
- The what, why and how of effective think-alouds.
- How to plan for effective think-alouds.
- How best to scan books to use in the classroom.
- How to make your own think-aloud recordings.
This one hour recording comes with a supporting resources pack, a copy of the PowerPoint slides and a certificate of participation.
Here’s some feedback from this workshop:
“I loved this PD as it wasn’t too long and overwhelming. It was perfect, straight to the point and easy to understand. I know exactly what I need to refine and how to be more explicit when coaching my teams with the delivery of lessons online and within the classroom. The resources you receive are very helpful.” -Michelle T
“You are a very skilled deliverer of online PD. I love that I can do it from home. Evenings are usually a time that suits, and recordings are nearly as good as the real time session.” -Michelle N