Done well, think-alouds are a highly effective teaching practice for reading instruction.
So why does the research say it is such an underused practice?
In this self-paced, digital online course, you’ll learn:
- The what, why and how of effective think alouds.
- How to plan for effective think alouds.
- How best to scan books to use in the classroom.
- How to make your own think aloud recordings (for online instruction).
This 2 hour online course starts as soon as you sign up and is divided into the following lessons:
- Lesson 1: The Gradual Release of Responsibility [17 mins]
- Lesson 2: The What and WHY of think alouds [13 mins]
- Lesson 3: Planning a think aloud (Part 1) [13 mins]
- Lesson 4: Planning a think aloud (Part 2) [7 mins]
- Lesson 5: Planning a think aloud (Part 3) [9 mins]
- Lesson 6: A note on comprehension strategy instruction [8 mins]
- Lesson 7: Life changing tech tips to display your book [9 mins]
You’ll have access to the content for 6 months and you can download a participation certificate once you’ve completed the course.
- What: This is a digital online course. It includes course videos, a demonstration think aloud and downloadable resources to help you plan your own think alouds.
- Where: On the Oz Lit teacher course website (Kajabi) – you’ll get login details as soon as you purchase the course.
- When: This course is available right now!
- Time: 2 hours total (including course videos and tasks)
- Cost: $40+GST If you require an invoice so you school can pay, just send an email with your school name to email@example.com
(Note: 5% of all PD sales are donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation to support the development of literacy in remote indigenous communities.)
This course is perfect for:
- Pre-service teachers
- Graduate teachers
- Established teachers who want to strengthen their reading minilessons
- Literacy leaders and coaches
Here’s some feedback from past participants of this workshop:
“I actually think that the online aspect did not take away from any of the learning because you are an engaging presenter. The level of preparation was evident as it flowed really well.” -Megan
“I loved this PD as it wasn’t too long and overwhelming. It was perfect, straight to the point and easy to understand. I know exactly what I need to refine and how to be more explicit when coaching my teams with the delivery of lessons online and within the classroom. The resources you receive are very helpful.” -Michelle T