So you’ve heard of the 6+1 traits and want to know more?
In this self-paced online PD series I’ll be taking a deep dive on each of the traits to help you really understand:
- what each trait is (beyond a basic definition)
- what each trait looks like in mentor texts and student writing
- how you can teach students about each of the traits.
Teachers who have a deep understanding of the qualities of good writing are better equipped to nurture and nudge the writers in their class and that’s exactly what this PD is on about. By going deep on one trait at a time, you’ll develop the teacher content knowledge required to:
- identify the qualities of good writing in mentor texts
- pinpoint student strengths and instructional needs
- provide more effective feedback to students
- plan more targeted, focused and effective minilessons.
This self-paced online course is designed to enable you (or your team) to work through the Traits Masterclass course at your own pace. This is perfect for individual teachers to work through on their own or for groups of teachers to work through together (it would made an ideal PLC study!)
The feedback from the weekly zoom version of the course (2 intakes held in 2020) overwhelming highlighted the benefits of engaging in this slow, drip-feed of learning over several weeks. This allowed participants to go deep on one trait, talk about it, test it out with students and discuss the impact with colleagues, before taking on new learning about the next trait.
The self-paced online version is designed to support a slow and steady approach- which will lead to a more positive and sustainable change in how teachers teach writing.
The Masterclass Series is made up of 6 modules of pre-recorded lessons with accompanying resources.
One module will be released each week over a period of 6 weeks. You can work to the weekly schedule or complete the work at your own pace- it’s up to you! All recordings and resources will be available until the end of the year.
- Module 1: Ideas trait
- Module 2: Organisation trait
- Module 3: Voice trait
- Module 4: Word choice trait
- Module 5: Sentence fluency trait
- Module 6: Conventions trait
All The Details
- What: You’ll get access to all the Masterclass sessions and resources for 12 months.
- When: This course will open again in term 3, 2021.
- Where: On the Oz Lit teacher course site (Kajabi)- you’ll get login details as soon as you sign up.
- Cost: $250 per person + GST (with 5% being donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation).
- If you have more than 10 staff, please contact email@example.com for a large school discount.
- If you’d like an invoice so your school can pay, just send an invoice request to firstname.lastname@example.org
What previous participants have said about the writing Traits Masterclass Series:
“I found this PD fantastic! We have started looking into the 6+1 traits this year but this is the first time I feel confident that I know what I am doing AND that I know how to explain, model and inspire not only my students but (perhaps even more importantly) my colleagues 🙂 Breaking it up trait by trait and including actual, useful teaching practice and tips made it so accessible and easy to put into practice immediately!”
“Honestly, the best PD I have ever been to and these are my reasons why…
– each trait was given time to understand and explore
– you demystified lots of questions I had regarding the traits and presented in a way that was easily understood
-you are LOGICAL in the way you talk about writing and the traits.”
“Where to start. Absolutely amazing. Best PL I’ve had in a long time. Thank you for using great mentor texts and showing us how to unpack each convention using them.”