So you’ve heard of the 6+1 traits and want to know more?
In this self-paced online PD series I’ll be taking a deep dive on each of the traits to help you really understand:
- what each trait is (beyond a basic definition)
- what each trait looks like in mentor texts and student writing
- how you can teach students about each of the traits.
Why sign up to this course?
Teachers who have a deep understanding of the qualities of good writing are better equipped to nurture and nudge the writers in their class and that’s exactly what this PD is on about. By going deep on one trait at a time, you’ll develop the teacher content knowledge required to:
- identify the qualities of good writing in mentor texts
- pinpoint student strengths and instructional needs
- provide more effective feedback to students
- plan more targeted, focused and effective minilessons.
This self-paced online course is designed to enable you (or your team) to work through the Traits Masterclass course at your own pace. This is perfect for individual teachers to work through on their own or for groups of teachers to work through together (it would made an ideal PLC study!)
The feedback from the weekly zoom version of the course (2 intakes held in 2020) overwhelming highlighted the benefits of engaging in this slow, drip-feed of learning over several weeks. This allowed participants to go deep on one trait, talk about it, test it out with students and discuss the impact with colleagues, before taking on new learning about the next trait.
The self-paced online version is designed to support a slow and steady approach- which will lead to a more positive and sustainable change in how you teach writing.
The Masterclass Series is made up of 6 modules of pre-recorded lessons with accompanying resources.
One module will be released each week over a period of 6 weeks. You can work to the weekly schedule or complete the work at your own pace- it’s up to you! All recordings and resources will be available for 12 months.
- Module 1: Ideas trait
- Module 2: Organisation trait
- Module 3: Voice trait
- Module 4: Word choice trait
- Module 5: Sentence fluency trait
- Module 6: Conventions trait
Take a look inside the course in this video:
- What: You’ll get access to all the Masterclass sessions and resources for 12 months.
- When: Unless you attended the recent ‘Leading Writing in 2022’ webinar, the next traits course will be released in January 2022. (Whole school purchases can still be made outside of that time).
- Where: On the Oz Lit Teacher course site (Kajabi)- you’ll get login details as soon as you sign up.
- Cost: $250 per person + GST (with 5% being donated to the Indigenous Literacy Foundation).
- If you have more than 10 staff, please contact email@example.com for a large school discount.
- If you’d like an invoice so your school can pay, just send an invoice request to firstname.lastname@example.org
When is the next course intake opening?
Can I sign my whole school up to this course? Is there a whole school discount?
One of my colleagues has come up me three times this week to say how much he’s enjoying the traits PD and that the format and content is some of the best training he’s done in years. We’re going slowly, just discussed Voice as a staff this week – but it’s been very positive and there’s been a huge shift already in writing.
If you email email@example.com Shirl (the Oz Lit admin girl) can talk to you about whole school pricing options.
What time and date are the lessons?
Why are the modules released one week at a time if it’s a self-paced course?
You don’t have to keep up with our schedule though; once all the modules are released you can access any module at any time. (You just can’t access the content earlier than the release schedule).
How long is each module?
How long will I have access to the lessons and resources in the course?
Should I do this course before or after the Teach writing with confidence course?
Teach Writing with Confidence sets you up with a big picture view of all the different elements that go into effective writing instruction. It helps you put all the most helpful structures and foundational understandings into place in your writing classroom to get you to a point where you’re ready to go deeper on the WHAT of your teaching. (That’s where the Writing Traits Masterclass comes in).
Having said all that- it’s not a huge problem if you do the courses the other way around.
Is the course suitable for year 7 and 8 teachers?
This PD has reinforced the idea of the ‘admiring lens’ for student work. You will be pleased to read (as was I) the following feedback from one of my students in a survey: “I thought my writing was not good enough, with Mrs P’s encouragement I feel motivated to write more.” This is definitely from knowing how to look for what the students have achieved!
I participated in the live version of the Traits Masterclass- is there any new content in this version?
Are there any payment plans available for the course?
What previous participants have said about the Writing Traits Masterclass Series:
“I found this PD fantastic! We have started looking into the 6+1 traits this year but this is the first time I feel confident that I know what I am doing AND that I know how to explain, model and inspire not only my students but (perhaps even more importantly) my colleagues 🙂 Breaking it up trait by trait and including actual, useful teaching practice and tips made it so accessible and easy to put into practice immediately!”
“Honestly, the best PD I have ever been to and these are my reasons why…
– each trait was given time to understand and explore
– you demystified lots of questions I had regarding the traits and presented in a way that was easily understood
-you are LOGICAL in the way you talk about writing and the traits.”
“Where to start. Absolutely amazing. Best PL I’ve had in a long time. Thank you for using great mentor texts and showing us how to unpack each convention using them.”