Mentor Texts for Reading and Writing
Download the complete list of Oz Lit Teacher recommended mentor texts
- Over 100 picture story books
- Organised by genre and year level.
- Each with teaching recommendations for reading (comprehension strategies) and writing (6+1 traits)
Download the list of mentor texts with Indigenous perspectives
- Books for a range of year levels.
- All written by Indigenous Australian authors.
- Each with teaching recommendations for reading (comprehension strategies) and writing (6+1 traits).
Mentor texts with teaching suggestions
The mentor texts below are organised in alphabetical order by author surname.
(HOT TIP: To find a title quickly, press Ctrl + F on your keyboard and search for the name of your book.)
Click on the book covers below to download a free PDF of my teaching recommendations for each book. This printable 'bookplate' is designed to be stuck inside the front cover of the book in your school library.
For more information on mentor texts and how to use them, see these blog posts on the topic:
By Adam Goodes, Ellie Laing and David Hardy
F-6 Narrative non fiction